Blog Archives

First casts cleaned up

Well the moulds have dried out and we have had a first run at casting some of the sculpts I have done up in pewter. Some need a little cleaning up still, but for a first run they all came out pretty nicely.
Firstly we have a nice brooch found at West Stow Heath in Suffolk, and is a little square brooch, the original in copper-alloy, with a small dragon design on it. Shown here next to a drawing of the original.

20130828-222417.jpg
Next we have a little disc brooch, probably 10th century, from York, the original made in a lead alloy. These have not been filed and cleaned up yet, but so far look pretty good!

20130828-222904.jpg
We have also managed to do a few buckles and strap ends, again from our own original sculpts, copied from 9th and 10th century examples.

20130828-223040.jpg

Advertisements

Begining some casting

Starting some work on some sculpting and mould making this week. Mostly buckles, strapends, and small brooches, with the intention of casting them up in pewter to begin, and perhaps have some copper-alloy casts done later. We have started with some rough miliput sculpts, which we are going to carve and file in detail after it has hardened.

20130819-125806.jpg
Most the originals these will be based on are from York, or Northern England and are a mix of very viking styles, and native and carolingian styles from the tenth century.

20130819-125829.jpg
When these are done we are casting them up into two-part plaster of Paris moulds.

20130819-125841.jpg
I will add a few posts as we go along showing the progress we make.
Einar